RESTON, Va., Jan. 5, 2018 – Guam is modernizing communications technology for its first responders. Governor Eddie Calvo announced his decision to accept the First Responder Network Authority* and AT&T** plan to deliver a wireless broadband network to the territory’s public safety community. FirstNet will bring advanced tools that will help Guam’s first responders save lives and protect communities.
“Communication is critical when a typhoon or other disaster strikes our island,” Governor Calvo said. “FirstNet is another step toward improving our connectivity amongst first responders, which enhances their safety as well as their ability to safeguard and respond to emergencies in our island community.”
AT&T, in a public-private partnership with the First Responder Network Authority, will provide a highly secure wireless broadband communications network for Guam’s public safety community at no cost to the territory. The FirstNet network will drive innovation and create an entire system of modernized devices, apps and tools for first responders.
FirstNet will transform the way Guam’s fire, police, EMS and other public safety personnel communicate and share information. Specifically, it will:
- Connect first responder subscribers to the critical information they need in a highly secure manner when handling day-to-day operations, responding to emergencies and supporting events like Liberation Day.
- Create an efficient communications experience for public safety personnel in agencies and jurisdictions across the territory during natural disasters, such as earthquakes, typhoons and flooding.
- Enhance and expand network coverage across Guam’s diverse landscape, benefitting first responders and residents throughout the territory’s rural or remote areas.
- Provide first responders with access to dedicated network assets that can be deployed for additional coverage and support when needed.
- Drive infrastructure investments across the territory.
- Usher in a new wave of dependable innovations for first responders. This will create an ever-evolving set of life-saving tools for public safety, including public safety apps, specialized devices and Internet of Things technologies.
The First Responder Network Authority and AT&T designed Guam’s network solution with direct input from the territory and its public safety community. This helped to address the territory’s unique communications needs, including:
- Extending coverage to the areas where island topology currently creates gaps.
- Making deployable network assets available in the territory.
- Leveraging existing infrastructure assets as appropriate.
- Offering feature-rich services at competitive prices.
“Governor Calvo’s decision delivers a modernized public safety network that will improve emergency communications in Guam,” said First Responder Network Authority CEO Mike Poth. “With FirstNet, Guam’s first responders will now have access to the most advanced technologies over a reliable, high speed connection to help the island’s first responders save lives and protect communities.”
The decision enables the First Responder Network Authority and AT&T to offer an entirely new wireless ecosystem for public safety communications. Guam’s first responder subscribers will have access to quality of service, priority and preemption to voice and data across the FirstNet network.
“Governor Calvo has been a great partner as we’ve developed the plan for bringing the FirstNet network to Guam’s public safety community,” said Stephanie Tyler, president, AT&T Pacific Northwest. “We’re honored to have the opportunity to provide the island’s first responders with access to the life-saving tools FirstNet makes possible.”
*About the First Responder Network Authority
The First Responder Network Authority is an independent authority within the U.S. Department of Commerce. Chartered in 2012, its mission is to ensure the building, deployment, and operation of the nationwide, broadband network that equips first responders to save lives and protect U.S. communities. Learn more at FirstNet.gov/mediakit and follow the Authority (@FirstNetGov) on Facebook and Twitter for updates.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) helps millions around the globe connect with leading entertainment, business, mobile and high speed internet services. We have the nation’s largest and most reliable network*** and the best global coverage of any U.S. wireless provider. We’re one of the world’s largest providers of pay TV. We have TV customers in the U.S. and 11 Latin American countries. Nearly 3.5 million companies, from small to large businesses around the globe, turn to AT&T for our highly secure smart solutions.