- Compact 4G connected device with a diameter of only 10cm
- Records the road ahead through a night mode enabled HD camera for later download
- Forward Collision Detection Warning System (ADAS) incorporated
- Full accident support service from point of impact
- Can call the emergency services after a severe accident
- Amazon Lex technology speaks to the driver in a collision
- Telematics enables drivers to access insurance based on how they drive – not how insurers THINK they might drive
- Accompanying app for tracking journeys and driving scores
- A range of rewards for safe driving
November 2019 – Connectivity in cars could prevent 25,000 serious accidents in the coming decade and save 2,500 lives[i] – but motorists don’t have to wait. Now available on Amazon, Theo is a smart, video-enabled device with a complete package of support services for motorists, using a combination of technology not available in some of the newest cars on the road.
Created by Mike Brockman, one of the UK’s pioneers in road safety technology, Theo works completely in the interests of the driver, responding to the increasing demand from motorists for fairer treatment from insurers which has contributed to dashcam sales in the past few years.
Unlike any dashcam, every Theo device features a HD video camera, two-way Amazon Lex integrated speaker, telematics for tracking, impact detector for crashes and its own internal 4G sim card for connectivity, which connected to the Cloud gives drivers access to an array of services. Theo will also warn drivers if they get too close to the car in front. The services are available on subscription for £4.99 per month, but new customers can gain access completely free for the first 3 months.
Theo is set to give motorists greater control over their safety as well as their insurance claims and costs. They will even be rewarded for safe driving, with anything from a free car wash to free gig tickets.
In a collision, a series of events is triggered:
- Video footage and telematics data is sent in real time to the Theo Accident Assistance Centre;
- Theo will speak to the driver to check if they are OK and alert emergency services if necessary;
- Following the initial support, the Theo team will then work to achieve the best outcome in respect of an insurance claim, using the Theo data combined with their own expertise. This applies whether the driver was at fault or not, putting them in greater control of how to move forward following a collision
The Theo App displays all driving trips and journeys and after every 100 miles a score is given on how well the car’s been driven. The App also offers access to cheaper insurance through Freedom Insurance Brokers, with more coming onboard soon. In time this service will expand so that drivers are rewarded based on how well they have driven.
Drivers can also download five one minute videos per month through 4G, with full access to video via SD card.
Given most collisions occur at speeds of less than 20mph in the UK[ii], Theo will help reduce the risk of driver inattention which can lead to these accidents and have a knock on effect for the cost of insurance. As the service develops, warnings of accident black spots will be offered.
Mike Brockman, CEO of ThingCo the technology business behind Theo said: “Dashcams have become hugely popular, but they are still relatively rudimentary and do little to make driving safer or to really help motorists in an insurance claim. Theo goes much further to protect drivers, it not only records video of the road ahead but also sees, senses, talks and uses AI to support motorists, keeping them safe on the road and immediate help if they are in the unfortunate case of an accident.
“Using the Theo app, customers can track their driving behaviour, plan and review their trips, manage insurance claims, opt in to receive rewards and incentives. This is just the start, our mission is to put motorists of all ages and experience in greater control of their safety, their insurance, their claims experience, through their driving data but most importantly only if they choose.”
Notes to Editors
Theo is a product of ThingCo, founded by telematics pioneer Mike Brockman. Small and compact, Theo fits seamlessly to any vehicle’s windscreen – with a mobile app that helps track journeys, record and control driving data and unlock a world of benefits for safer drivers. A high-definition video camera, sensors and reactive intelligent voice ensure all eyes are on the road, providing motorists with total peace of mind.
The Device is £177, installation is free.
This includes a high definition camera with night vision.
Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS).
In-Car Intelligent Voice (Using Amazon’s Lex technology).
The subscription is free for new customers for the first 3 months and £4.99 per month thereafter.
- Personalised App
- Control over your data and how to use it
- Instant feedback on journeys and historical log
- Personalised driving scores for each 100 mile block of trips
- In-Car Voice Activated accident alert
- Theo Accident Help Service
- Rewards and incentives
- Instant downloads of video sections
- Access to selected panel of insurers