Update: March 14, 2020Stores:
We want to ensure that we are available to customers in need of support while also maintaining safety and promoting personal wellness in our store environments. In response to guidance around social distancing, starting 3/16 we will temporarily close our indoor mall stores until further notice. This includes all T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile, including dealer stores, that are physically located inside a shopping mall. We are maintaining compensation for our teams and supporting our independent operators through the end of the month and will continue to monitor the situation.
T-Mobile is continuing to take steps to help ensure everyone across the country can stay connected during this critical time, and we just announced agreements with multiple spectrum holders to light up additional 600 MHz spectrum for the next 60 days, expanding network capacity for customers across the country. We’re also expanding roaming access for Sprint customers to use the T-Mobile network. More here.
March 13, 2020
We continue to closely monitor the impact of COVID-19 on communities across the country. We recognize that T-Mobile customers are relying on our network to ensure they have critical connections with family, loved ones and service providers. Keeping our customers connected and our employees safe and healthy are our highest priorities. Below is an update on our ongoing efforts.
Network and Connectivity
Our network is currently fully operational and functioning at 100% reliability. To ensure that it continues to perform for all of our customers, even under anticipated times with heavier traffic, we have Network Operations Centers that operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week to monitor our network traffic, including calls to 911, and a widespread technician workforce that is able to rapidly respond to any issues.
Now, more than ever, as school and workplace closures are happening each day, reliable internet connectivity is crucial. The vast majority of customers on T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile plans already have unlimited talk, text and data, and our T-Mobile Home Internet customers already have unlimited plans with no data caps or surcharges. But in these unique circumstances, access to unlimited data is more important than ever. So today we are stepping up to take measures that will ensure that ALL current T-Mobile customers on plans that currently have data are provided the unlimited connectivity they need to learn and work.
- Starting now – ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
- Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon.
- Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months.
- Increasing the data allowance for free to schools and students using our EmpowerED digital learning programs to ensure each participant has access to at least 20GB of data per month for the next 60 days.
Additionally, we are now:
- Offering free international calling for ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers to Level 3 impacted countries.
- Supporting the FCC’s Keep Americans Connected Pledgefocused on ensuring residential and small business customers with financial impacts do not lose service.
Taking Care of Our Customers
We want our customers to feel comfortable in our stores so they can come in and get help to stay connected. We’ve increased cleaning and sanitization efforts and added more disinfecting wipes, soap and hand sanitizers for employees and customers. In addition, technicians servicing T-Vision customers in their homes will have hand sanitizer, masks and gloves with them to use when appropriate.
We also have many ways for customers to interact with us digitally:
- Manage your account and services, upgrade your phone and more in the T-Mobile App (in the App Store or Google Play) or My T-Mobile.
- Team of Experts directly by dialing 611. Businesses can talk with their Team of Experts through Apple Business Chat.
- Connect with us through Facebook and Twitter @TMobileHelp.
If you prefer to shop with us online, we are giving customers free two-day shipping on devices for 60 days as a courtesy.
And should you need support with your account due to unexpected financial impacts, please contact us immediately so we can help you.
Keeping Our Employees Safe
Our employees are our company’s heart and soul, and we are taking a range of actions to keep them as safe as possible. We continue to closely monitor the situation across the country, tracking recommendations and directives from federal, state and local authorities.
In most parts of the country, we are encouraging employees in roles that allow the option to work from home through the end of the month to do so. For employees who do not have this option, we are supporting them with flexible work schedules or, where needed, providing additional paid time off for sickness and family support.
As T-Mobile is an essential provider of service and it’s vital that we continue to be there for our customers, we have also established a support structure for our employees in roles that do not have an option to work from home. These include:
- Working with them on flexible work schedules
- Providing Paid Time Not Worked for those employees in high risk categories, are sick or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 (up to 14 days)
- Providing Paid Time Not Worked for employees who need intermediate support for childcare arrangements during immediate school closures (up to 5 days plus additional individual assistance on a case-by-case basis as needed)
- Establishing commission guarantees and bonus guarantee in roles where that applies to ensure consistency in income
- Working with our independently-owned operator partners to implement a support plan for them and their employees
We also continue to encourage healthy practices such as personal distancing and hand washing and have increased cleaning and sanitation in all our facilities. We will do what we can to keep our people healthy.
This is an unprecedented situation and we understand the importance of continuing to be the reliable network that our customers depend on each and every day. We continue to have those who are personally impacted in our thoughts.
During congestion, T-Mobile customers using>50GB/mo. & Metro customers using >35GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds; Home Internet & Essentials customers may notice speeds lower than other customers & Metro customers may notice reduced speeds vs. T-Mobile customers due to data prioritization. On-device usage is prioritized over tethering usage, which may result in higher speeds for data used on device. Tethering speeds vary by plan. See details at t-mobile.com.